Sunday, October 6, 2019

Game Brainstorm.

For my first game idea, I was thinking of doing a Sandbox Role-playing video game (RPG). This kinda video game allowed players a large amount of freedom and usually contains somewhat more open free roaming, and is purely simulation driven (so the player isn't confined to a single path restricted by certain objects such as fences, rocks, walls, etc.) Instead of featuring levels and specific areas, sandbox games most likely occur in a world in which the gamer/player has full access to from start to finish. The games would include structured elements (such as tasks, specific prescribed story lines, mini games) that the player can choose to do or ignore, and because of this non-linear nature, it creates challenges for game developers (I like the idea of pushing myself to create better content anyway). Some examples of 'sandbox gaming' would include Grand Theft Auto, Terraria, Garry's Mod and The Sandbox. What I was thinking of doing, is creating this alternate world in which the player somehow wound up, where the grass is blue, the trees have glowing pink leaves and creating inter-dimensional creatures that wow the gamers (my projects and work is usually always pretty and have hidden meanings to today's world problems, I'd like to try something new and create something beautiful out of galactic species that make the viewers feel like we may not be alone in this universe.) I also plan to have interactive- characters (that possibly say a few words when being clicked on), some unique scenery and hopefully some side challenges. The character will be in first person view, and may or may not have it's own body and/or weapon in hand (like in Minecraft when one can go into first-person view). I know this will be difficult to achieve, but I am open to the idea of working harder in order to create a brilliant game that I'm proud of.

 Grand theft auto

⇉  A second game idea I had in mind was creating a stealth-type game, where the game tends to emphasize sneaking around and avoiding an enemy to avoid conflict. In stealth games, players have the option to be able to engage in loud combat, but are often punished for it, or can obtain their goal with or without stealth, but stealth is encouraged as the player is at a disadvantage over many of their enemies. An example of this would be playing "Stop it, Slender!" on Roblox, where the players have to hit 3 generators and find 8 pages before Slender-man can get to them first. The players are given a 100% battery camera (which acts as their life bar) and the ability to run (which also acts as a bar that regenerates once it's used up). Other examples include Sky rim, The Last of Us, Assassin's Creed, and Hit man. I really like the idea of "Stop it, Slender!", and rather it being a multi player game like on Roblox, it'll be a single-player one with a different goal and different creature following the player. The game featured several maps, all made from different designers, but I think for the purpose of my game I'll create a single map, preferably someplace spooky, like a forest (as it'll be a much easier map to create, I'm also open to the idea of creating the inside of a hotel as a map, or even an asylum). I might also take the idea of finding 3 generators to activate in order to be able to access the rest of the map in hopes of finding hidden objects for the player to find so they can win the game (in my case, I think I'll create different coloured keys), and might add some visual effects to the first-person view such as adding vignette, grain, and have the game in black and white.

 Black and white.

⇉  Another game idea I had in mind was a platform game, where the gamers (also known as platformers in this case) have their game play primarily centred around jumping or climbing to navigate the character's environment (they may have enemies or obstacles to avoid and fight, or may even be straight up jumping as part of a puzzle). Examples of these can include 'Obby's' (where each short level, the player has to solve by jumping through a course, just like in "Wipe out"), 'Flood Escape' (where players are put into a designated room and have to climb and jump to get to the top without drowning), and 'The floor is lava' (where players must get to a high place and avoid touching the floor as they will potentially die). Generally the player's characters is capable of jumping many times their very own height, and is sometimes offered some control over their movement mid air. Some settings tend to be somewhat exaggerated with uneven terrain so that gamers can leap to or even fall off. I also particularly like this idea, as it's nostalgic and brings back childhood memories, and also gives me the ability to create various rooms and different challenges for the players to try (this gives me the opportunity to dive deep into scripting, and learn more about gaming than other game developers). I am leaning more towards a recreation of 'Flood Escape', but with a more interesting setting, such as in a lab and its hydrochloric acid flooding the room, or potentially in an asylum and it's oozing black liquid to create a more sinister feel. I'm going to come out of my comfort zone and create a character for this game mode, rather than it being in first-person view, as I'd like to learn more about character design too.

 Flooding.

⇉  My last idea was a good ol' typical shooter game, where the main objective is to shoot (whether it's at an object or another player). Players typically use ranged weapons to partake in the fun, which take place at a distance. Most shooting games involve rather violent game play (I'm not a violent person, so this in turn would be challenging for me and way out of my comfort zone), however, there are also non-violent objectives such as what the game 'Splatoon' partakes in (most likely going to be my approach). Splatoon is a third-person shooter video game, centred around fictional characters, also known as "Inklings" (a kinda squid-like creature that transforms between human and "cephalopod" like forms). Other examples include Call of Duty, Counter-strike, Fortnite, and Destiny. I most likely won't be taking inspiration from any of these games as they are so complex and detailed, so I'll be going through a more safer route considering I am highly inexperienced in the 'shooting field'. I do like the idea of a more family-oriented approach like 'Splatoon', however I won't be making it into a multiplayer mode, rather it being a single-played mode, and create a "Mii" with scenario's from "Wii sports resort". I'll be creating tasks where the gamers would have to shoot at designated objects in a specific timeframe in order to achieve a prize. This gives me the opportunity to go more in-depth with scripting, play around with different terrain's and even alter the lighting to make it similar to 'Wii's sports resort'. I will keep it in first player view, but have the body and weaponry visible to the player, in order to make the gamer feel like they're in the actual game. I'll also mess around with the audio, and make it feel rather soothing where the player looks in one direction and hear more naturist sounds in one ear more than the other when using earphones and playing the game.

Shooting.

4 comments:

  1. hi Vladimir. I really enjoyed reading your game ideas and I love how much effort you are putting into all your blog posts. your ideas sound amazing especially the stealth game as I love games were you have to be sneaky., One thing to keep in mind that you ideas may be a bit too ambitious and you may want to dial them back as we are all beginners here and unity is quite restrictive.
    keep up the great blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Vladimir,

    I was reading through your blog and you seem to have alot to say and ideas. I think that your ideas are way outside the box, however I think that you should be able to know your limits. If you are able to keep up with your ideas and plans. I wish you luck other while I think you should keep it realistic but amazing plans.

    ~David

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Vlad
    Loving your blogs so far. I love the game ideas you have came up with they are great but like Aaron said you may want to dial them back as we are all beginners. My favourite game would be the climbing and jumping game i definitely know you could make this game really fun for the player.Keep up the great work and ideas.

    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Vlad,

    I really liked all the ideas you had for your games. I especially liked your idea for a shooter game but a family friendly one like Splatoon, there are already so many other non-family friendly games out there it would be nice to see another family friendly one.

    -Casper :)

    ReplyDelete

Reading 8.

So I've taken a break from blogging last week to focus more on my group project, but this week I've been doing some research on cre...