Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Game Design

After doing some research online about what a "Game" and what "Game design" really is, it got really thinking about how complex the whole industry really is. A game will always have a start to end, have various tasks to do/choices to make, own rules and goals etc. and that's only some perks (http://www.thegamesjournal.com/articles/WhatIsaGame.shtml). After reading this article, I was given a better understanding of a concept of a game, and got me to think more about the different components and criteria for a future game I plan to develop. It encouraged me to think about a better lay-out, different scenarios a player can encounter and even the rules of the game. I also got to learn about the history of games, starting from the early 1900's such as tic-tac-toe and chess, to more advanced gameplay today by the likes of "World of Warcraft".


↺ I've also done some follow-up reading in a blogpost called; "Don't Be a Vidiot; What Computer Game Designers Can Learn From Non-Electronic Games " (http://www.costik.com/vidiot.html), where I got to learn about the enormous gaming industry and it being a field for originality and creativity. For someone who's very educated in both software and games, it is a very confusing development, and there is so much one can do, from audio development, to creating your first character for players to enjoy.


↺ Lastly, I got to go in-depth in researching about game design on http://gamasutra.com/blogs/LewisPulsipher/20110516/7453/So_Youre_Going_To_Make_A_Game_For_The_Very_First_Time.php. I've never really noticed but game developers will most likely re-create their game from someone else, because it's very rare to come up with an original storyline nowadays with the endless amount of games everybody has access to. Realistically, a game developer would have to focus on the gameplay rather than the appearance because players are drawn to storylines rather than the art of the game.

4 comments:

  1. good start to your reading blogs, I like how you have engaged with the material

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vlad,
    I found this blog very well written and easy to follow. You have added lots of links that are very helpful for any further information we may want to read more about. The images you chose really suits the content and definitely compliments the post overall. You can tell that you put effort into the layout and separating your research!

    -Dylan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Howdy Vladimir.

    This was another well made blog post. I'm glad you found the reading very insightful and helpful. I unfortunately didn't have an easy time following it all myself. But I feel you really got the main points of the articles across really simply which is a great thing. I hope you continue to learn about this industry and it helps you in the future.

    - Nathan Harte

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Vlad,

    I loved reading about your Game design. I found your blog well written and very easy to follow. I like the pictures you have added and the many links from where you got your information from! You seem to know exactly the type of game you want to design which is really good.

    I cannot wait to read more of your blogs!

    -EH

    ReplyDelete

Reading 8.

So I've taken a break from blogging last week to focus more on my group project, but this week I've been doing some research on cre...